Disclaimer: Please note that the information provided here is subject to change as per the current policies of the Kentucky State Board. Therefore, the details presented are based on the most up-to-date information available at the moment.
EXACT STEPS OF EXECUTION
Here is a step-by-step guide for transferring state certified beauty trained hours for any program (cosmetology, esthetic, nail technology, and instructor license) to or from Kentucky state:
- Contact the Kentucky State Board from which you are transferring. Request that they send the transfer of credit/license information via mail and email to the state board you are transferring to.
- Allow 15 to 30 days for the transfer process to take place. Afterward, reach out to the state board you are transferring to and inquire about the confirmation of receipt. Also, ask for further guidance on the next steps.
- Get in touch with the school you attended for your beauty training. Request a student transcript, as most state boards require this document for the transfer process.
- If the state board you are transferring to informs you that you need additional hours to qualify for the licensing exam, you can consider enrolling in a school like Louisville Beauty Academy to complete the necessary hours.
Please keep in mind that the specific requirements and procedures may vary, so it is essential to follow the instructions provided by the respective state boards and schools involved in the transfer process.
ELABORATION ON DETAIL
Many individuals have repeatedly asked questions about transferring certified training hours for cosmetology, nail technology/manicure, and esthetic/aesthetic, as well as state licenses, both to and from Kentucky State. This section aims to provide concise answers to these common inquiries.
- Yes, you can transfer your beauty license and certified training hours between Kentucky State Board of Cosmetology and Hairdress and other states. However, the process can be time-consuming.
- To transfer hours from another state to Kentucky, you need to follow the guidelines set by the Kentucky State Board of Cosmetology. It is crucial to comply with their specific requirements.
- While Louisville Beauty Academy can offer guidance and advice, they strictly adhere to the guidelines outlined by the Kentucky State Board of Cosmetology. They can assist you within the framework provided by the board.
- Whether or not you have to retake the exam depends on the destination state’s requirements. You will need to apply to the respective State Board and follow their instructions. They will guide you on whether you need to retake the exam or apply for a new license in their state.
- The transfer of your license or certified training hours must be facilitated by the State Board, not by the applicant. You need to contact the State Board and request them to initiate the transfer on your behalf.
- The applicant is responsible for following all the necessary steps as required by the Kentucky State Board of Cosmetology.
- The applicant must apply to the destination State Board to have their transferred license or certified training hours accepted and processed. The State Board will provide guidance on the subsequent steps, such as retaking the exam or obtaining a new license in their state.
- If you did not take the exam on the NIC examination system (National Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology), please note that as of 2022-223, the NIC has transitioned to PSI (Psychological Services, Inc.). Therefore, it is important to be aware of this recent change.
- PSI now provides standardized, valid, and legally defensible national theory and practical examinations for cosmetology and related fields. The administration of computer-based testing and practical examinations is handled by authorized test administration companies and states. You can find a list of states that utilize PSI Testing on their website.
Please note that the information provided here is intended to serve as a general guide, and it is important to refer to the specific instructions and guidelines provided by the respective State Boards for accurate and up-to-date information.
When it comes to transferring your certified training hours, licenses, or credentials for cosmetology, nail technology/manicure, and esthetic/aesthetic to or from the Kentucky State Board of Cosmetology and Hairdress, it’s important to be aware of the specific requirements and procedures. Here is a detailed overview to help you navigate the process:
- Processing Time and Verification: Please allow a minimum of 30 days for the application processing time due to the high volume of applicants. The office cannot verify the receipt of applications unless it has been more than 30 days since submission. If you require verification, it is recommended to submit your application through traceable means via the postal system.
- Certification of License: All out-of-state applicants must obtain a certification of license from the state board that issued the license. This certification should be requested by the applicant from the licensing agency of the state they are transferring from and must be submitted directly from that agency. Certifications cannot be accepted from the applicant directly.
- Specific Requirements for Each Program: Different programs have varying requirements for hours and education:
- Cosmetologist: 1500 hours of training and a 12th-grade education.
- Nail Technician: 450 hours of training and a 12th-grade education.
- Esthetician: 750 hours of training and a 12th-grade education.
- Apprentice Instructor/Instructor: 750 hours of training and a 12th-grade education.
- Certification of Out-of-State Hours: If you have completed hours in another state, you must provide a certification of hours and/or license from the state licensing agency where the hours were obtained. This certification should be requested by you and submitted directly from the transferring state’s licensing agency. Only hours certified by the state licensing agencies will be accepted, and school transcripts will not be accepted.
- Equivalent Hours: If your out-of-state hours are equivalent to Kentucky’s hourly requirement for the specific license, you can apply as an Out-of-State Exam applicant.
- Insufficient Hours: If your out-of-state hours do not meet Kentucky’s hourly requirement, you must complete the remaining hours required for that license at a school of cosmetology in Kentucky before applying for the licensing exam. Kentucky will only accept the amount of hours required for licensing by the state you are transferring from.
- Examinations: The specific examinations required vary for each program:
- Cosmetology: Written and Practical examinations.
- Nail Technician: Written and Practical examinations.
- Esthetician: Written and Practical examinations.
- Licensed Out-of-State: If you hold an out-of-state license that was obtained through a nationally certified examination, you may apply for licensure in Kentucky without having to complete the NIC examination. However, if your out-of-state license was not obtained through a nationally certified examination, you will be required to successfully complete the NIC examination (both theory and practical) before licensure can be granted in Kentucky.
- Required Documentation for Out-of-State License Transfer Application: Along with your application, you must submit the following documents:
- Copy of Applicant’s Driver’s License or State-Issued ID.
- Certification of Professional License: This must be requested from the professional licensing board of the state where your license was issued. Certifications should be submitted directly to the Kentucky State Board of Cosmetology.
- Proof of 12th Grade Education: Acceptable documentation includes college, high school, or GED transcript or diploma. If your education was obtained outside of the United States, an official translation must be provided.
Please ensure that all requested documentation (except license certification) is included with your transfer application and the corresponding fee as specified on the application form. Incomplete applications missing documentation will not be considered for approval.
Kindly note that the processing time for complete and accurate out-of-state transfer applications received by the Board office is approximately 30 days. We kindly ask you to plan accordingly, considering this timeframe for your application.
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. Should you have any questions or require further assistance, please feel free to reach out. We are here to help ensure a smooth and efficient transfer process.
Kentucky State Board of Cosmetology and Hairdressers – Transfer Out of State License and Certified Training Hours https://kbc.ky.gov/Licensure/Pages/Out-of-State-Info.aspx
National Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology (NIC) – Course Content Focused for State Board Examination – Cosmetology & Hair Design, Barbering (Barber Styling, Barber, Barber 1), Body Piercing, Electrology, Esthetics/ Aesthetic, Esthetics-Advanced Practice (AP), Instructor, Manager, and Nail Technology